BOSTON - Max Scherzer is hard to faze. Detroits right-hander wasnt bothered by a 47-minute rain delay in the fourth inning Friday night and wasnt flustered when the game restarted 10 minutes earlier than anticipated. And as for the defending World Series champions? They hardly troubled him at all. Scherzer tossed six shutout innings, outdueling Boston ace Jon Lester and leading the Tigers to a 1-0 win over the Red Sox in the opener of a three-game series. "The rain delay had no effect on me," said Scherzer, who won his sixth straight start and lowered his league-leading ERA to 1.83. "When I went back out there for the fourth, it was the same." So was his stuff. The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner allowed just three hits over six-plus innings before being removed after a leadoff single by Mike Carp in the seventh. "This might have been the best his stuff has been all year," Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said. Scherzer (6-1) disagreed, citing a below-average changeup and his four walks, one of which was intentional. "Its always going to drive me crazy when Im not throwing first-pitch strikes and when Im walking guys," said Scherzer, who struck out seven. "Even though I wasnt able to do that tonight, when runners were on base I was still able to make big-time pitches." Joba Chamberlain retired the side in the eighth and closer Joe Nathan pitched a perfect ninth for his 11th save of the season. Torii Hunter delivered an RBI single in the first inning for the Tigers, playing their first game against the Red Sox since losing last years American League Championship Series in six games. Times have changed. Detroit has baseballs best record at 25-12, winning 13 of its last 16 games and nine in a row on the road. Scherzer is a major reason why. He faced the minimum through three innings before rain halted play with one out in the top of the fourth. While it definitely put a damper on the marquee matchup of aces, the delay barely slowed Scherzer, who stayed warm by throwing in the cages and was ready to go when the game restarted ahead of schedule. "For me, once I was able to get loose, I felt the same," he said. Had the delay lasted longer, Scherzers night may have prematurely come to an end. "Right around an hour would have been too much," Ausmus said. "Theres a little bit of a grey area on either side of that, but if it had gone much longer, he probably would have been done." Following the delay, David Ortiz recorded Bostons first hit with a two-out single in the fourth, but was left on base when Scherzer fanned Carp. David Ross singled to begin the sixth but was stranded on third when Scherzer struck out Napoli. "I didnt pitch my best, but when runners were on base and I needed to make big pitches, I made big pitches," Scherzer said. "Thats the difference in the game." Lester (4-5) exited the game after five innings and 94 pitches. He gave up just one run on four hits with seven strikeouts and three walks. "With the rain delay, we were in that situation nearly an hour and werent going to push Jon more than the five innings tonight," Boston manager John Farrell said. "But to think one run in the first inning was going to be the difference, probably didnt anticipate that." Lester laboured through a 27-pitch first inning, highlighted by Hunters run-scoring single that plated Ian Kinsler, who singled. "I actually felt better coming out of the rain delay then I did coming into the game," Lester said. "I felt like I threw the ball a lot better the last two innings than I did the first three. I felt like I could have gone one more, but it wasnt my decision." NOTES: Lester and Scherzer had faced off just once before, on Sept. 3, 2013, in a 2-1 Boston victory. Lester earned the win, allowing one run in seven innings with nine strikeouts and no walks. Scherzer yielded two runs over seven innings. ... Cabrera entered the game batting .522 (12 for23) with one homer in his career against Lester. He went 0 for 2 with a walk Friday. ... Ortizs fifth-inning single extended his season-long hitting streak to nine games. ... Detroit reliever Evan Reed was called for a balk in the seventh. Custom Pittsburgh Steelers Jerseys .Fucale will not only be one of the local boys, he is also a Montreal Canadiens draft pick and will have a huge cheering section when Canada opens the tournament Dec. James Washington Jersey .5 million. University officials released the term sheet signed by Harsin Wednesday, the day the former Broncos walk-on player and Boise native was named the successor to Chris Petersen, who left for Washington last week. http://www.steelersrookiestore.com/Steeler...Edmunds-Jersey/. In a matchup of teams battling head-to-head for the final playoff spot in Major League Soccers Western Conference, the Whitecaps run to the post-season took a hard hit when FC Dallas blew open a tie game with two goals in the final minutes for a 3-1 victory Saturday night. Pittsburgh Steelers Jerseys . The 22-year-old Spanish midfielder recently signed a new three-year contract with Chelsea, and after spending last season on loan with Valencia in La Liga, Romeu will move to the Bundesliga for the 2014-15 campaign. Terrell Edmunds Jersey . LOUIS -- Known for his game-managing and defensive skills, Yadier Molina made another statement with his bat.PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. - Jari Erricson had two goals and two assists and Chase Witala scored once and set up two more as the Prince George Cougars downed the visiting Lethbridge Hurricanes 6-2 on Wednesday in Western Hockey League play.Kody McDonald, Colby McAuley and Cal Babych also scored for the Cougars (4-4-0) and Jansen Harkins tacked on three assists.Kord Pankewicz and Dexter Bricker supplied the offence for the Hurricanes (1-4-1).Prince Georges Ty Edmonds made 25 saves for the win. Stuart Skinner started in net for Lethbridge and allowed five goals on 32 shots through two periods of playy.dddddddddddd Zac Robidoux kicked out all nine shots he faced in relief.The Cougars went 1 for 7 on the power play while the Hurricanes failed to score on five chances with the man advantage.---PATS 5 ICE 4REGINA — Adam Brooks had a pair of goals and Dryden Hunt had a goal and an assist as the Pats edged Kootenay.Chase Harrison and Braden Christoffer also scored for Regina (4-2-1) as Daniel Wapple made 27 saves for the win.Jaedon Descheneau scored three times for the Ice (2-4-0) and assisted on Levi Cables goal as well. Wyatt Hoflin turned away 42-of-47 shots in defeat.--- Wholesale Hoodies NFL Shirts Outlet Jerseys NFL Wholesale Cheap NFL Jerseys Free Shipping Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '